This post is a part of Panini Week!
This sandwich always reminds me of Steve Martin whenever I make it. ”I haven’t had arugula in 6 weeks!” If you know what that movie is based on the quote, withOUT clicking this link to cheat, then you get…bragging rights.
Or virtual brownies or something. And I’ll think you’re really cool!
Asiago Sourdough Roast Beef Panini with Raw Blue Cheese and Arugula
2 pieces asiago sourdough bread (find sourdough starters here)
2-4 tablespoons butter (find grass-fed butter here)
2 slices roast beef (find grass-fed beef here)
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled or sliced (find raw cheeses here)
several leaves of arugula
- In a cast iron skillet, heat over medium heat until warm, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the butter on one side of the sourdough bread and set butter side down in the pan.
- Layer on the bread: blue cheese, then arugula, roast beef, and more blue cheese.
- Butter the other piece of bread and place it butter side up on the last layer of blue cheese.
- Cover with a lid for 2-5 minutes, until the cheese melts and the buttered piece of bread on the bottom takes on a beautiful golden color.
- Flip over with a spatula, then cover the pan again for another 2 minutes or so, or until the other side of the panini is browned and golden.
- Remove from the pan, and cut in half.