Dark yellow from pastured eggs and grass-fed cheese and flecked with green and white veggies and herbs, when you cut into this warm quiche everyone in the house will take notice. The crackly crust on top from the parmigiano reggiano giving way to tender vegetables, the melted cheddar, and the aroma of bright herbs, will all fill your home with warmth and nourishment. (It also might just impress those you bake it for, such as a brunch or holiday party. Just sayin’!)
This gorgeous dish is simple and flavorful, which is generally the way I like my real food recipes. I let the ingredients speak for themselves. When you use quality foods, you do not need a lot going on to make your food stunning and gourmet. This is the essence of truly nourishing food as it was meant to be eaten. This is the kind of food we evolved to crave for vibrant health and true energy.
This quiche was born from my love of italian herbs, the sharp and salty bite of my two favorite cheeses, and my signature vegetables. As a child I loved to eat broccoli, especially with lemon pepper. (But now I know that commerical lemon pepper has MSG and other harmful additives.) As an adult I discovered my love of leeks with their delicate aromatic flavor. But ultimately, I just love anything covered with parmesan or parmigiano reggiano. Enter: the quiche I place before you!
Crustless Savory Quiche
palm shortening or coconut oil for pan (buy palm shortening here or coconut oil here)
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 leeks, halved, thoroughly rinsed, and thinly sliced
handful fresh basil, finely chopped, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided (buy spices and herbs here)
3/4 cup of broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup of cauliflower, chopped into bit-sized pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
12 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste (buy unrefined sea salt here)
more basil and oregano for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a large glass pie plate with butter, palm shortening, or coconut oil. (Buy palm shortening here or coconut oil here). Set aside.
- Add two tablespoons of butter to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks to the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute the leeks until browned and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toward the end of the cooking time, during the last 3-5 minutes, add half of the chopped basil and 1/2 teaspoon of the oregano.
- Spoon the leek mixture into the bottom of the greased pie plate, and spread out to cover the bottom. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the cast iron skillet. Add broccoli and cauliflower, stirring for about one minute. Add remaining chopped basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for a shorter amount of time, about 5-7 minutes, or until the broccoli is bright green and the herbs and vegetables are releasing their aromas. Spoon broccoli mixture over leek mixture in the pie plate.
- In the meantime, stir together the eggs and cheddar cheese in a separate bowl. Pour egg mixture over all the vegetables, making sure they are all submerged. Top with parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with more basil and oregano.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the eggs are set in the middle and cooked through.