If you think of frankincense, chances are you’ll think of one thing first: the birth story of Christ. I know, I did it too. But frankincense is more than a small detail in a Bible story. It’s a powerful oil that has tremendous medicinal value, to the point of being more valuable than gold during some stretches of history.
Frankincense is one of the oldest and most powerful essential oils you can find. It’s not wonder it’s one of the oils I suggest to start with when you begin to build your homemade medicine cabinet. I like to call my essential oils, herbs, and other kitchen witch items my “Real Medicine Cabinet”. After all, these oils are made from real plants, barks, peels, seeds, roots, and so forth. These oils are brimming with qualities made to help our bodies.
The Power of Frankincense
Frankincense enjoy a rich history of enhancing spiritual awareness and connectedness, and is mentioned in the Bible and other holy texts many times. From a religious perspective, frankincense is meaningful, but even from a purely medicinal perspective frankincense is quite impressive. It has ties to curing cancer symptoms, healing skin problems, and helping with depression, among other things.
Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) is the aromatic resin from the tree called by the same name. It is known for it’s “antitumoral, immunostimulant, antidepressant, muscle relaxing” properties and “…increases spiritual awareness, promotes meditation, improves attitude, and uplifts spirits.” (source) Frankincense is a wonder oil.
I Don’t Have an Awesome Story About Frankincense
I prefer to share my stories with essential oils that are concrete, have before and after photos, and are specific and measurable. That way, you can see what the oils actually do. Frankincense has those properties as well: you can use frankincense for skin care to reduce wrinkles, and scar tissue. But my experience with frankincense is far more emotional and hard to pin down.
Being new to the oil, the first time I picked up Frankincense was a few weeks ago when I have having a hard day. I was thinking a lot about my lower chakras, and how I was feeling vulnerable and “hot” that day. I tend to burn with a fiery personality sometimes, and this frankincense day was one of those days.
Well, it turns out that Frankincense is the Oil of Truth. This photo is from a book that one of my readers shared on my FB page. I was blown away.
As I read through my books, I started to notice a pattern. My lower chakras: root and sacral, are associated with the colors red and orange. Frankincense is a dark red color, and associated with spiritual grounding.
I pulled my red jasper and my other red and orange stones from a bookshelf I have near me, and I anointed them, and myself, with several drops of frankincense.
I’m not sure I “like” the smell of frankincense. But it’s deep, earthy, and seemed to pull me back to the present, to this reality. I felt better. More like myself. I also put some frankincense on my third eye chakra, and continued to work that day and ponder the truth of the situations I found myself in that day.
I started to see more clearly. I wasn’t so confused about the actions of some people in my life. I wasn’t so upset by what other people were doing.
After I started using frankincense that day, I stopping feeling so triggered by my PTSD symptoms, and started to remember that I am me. I am okay.
Frankincense may not do that for everyone. In fact, it probably won’t do the same thing for you that it has done for me. But it’s important, and it’s powerful. It’s an oil you should get your hands on as soon as possible. There is real healing power in that bottle. If you are building your home medicine cabinet, frankincese is a must-have.
I’m not an expert on frankincense, but I know that it works for me. Now I keep it nearby on days when I am feeling prone to PTSD symptoms, panic attacks, or other mental ailments. It helps.
My Other “Ah-ha!” Moments with Healing Essential Oils
This isn’t the first time I have been blown away by the power of essential oils. The first time was with Deep Relief roll-on essential oil blend for a headache. It worked far better than any other headache medicine I have taken before. You can read about it HERE.
And then I used Peace and Calming for an allergic reaction I was having. It stopped my symptoms within minutes, and that really surprised me as well. You can read about it HERE.
I used PanAway to take the swelling down after I had surgery, and it worked just as well as my pain and inflammation medicines I took over the counter. You can see more HERE.
Plus, essential oils are just plain helpful, like when you have a bottle of Purification on hand to help disinfect the air, or a cut, or just to add to your laundry. You can read about it HERE.
Again, most of these experiences are with the body, and less to do with the mind. Frankincense straddles both the mind and body in a meaningful way for me. And I hope it does for you too, when you get your premium starter kit. You can see more about that HERE.
Why I Choose Young Living Essential Oils
Young Living Essential Oils are pure, unadulterated, and from a company that I wholeheartedly trust. I have used their oils and they are the best quality; tried and true. Young Living truly sets the standard for essential oils, using techniques and botanical sources that are the best quality available. They follow every aspect of production for their oils, to ensure that you are getting the purest, safest essential oils in every bottle of liquid plant power!
Essential Oils 101: The Basic Ten
When I started with my essential oils, I went straight for the premium starter kit, because it’s the best value I have found. It comes with a beautiful diffuser that you can use day or night, because it shuts off automatically after 4 hours and has an optional light. The premium starter kit also includes the basic ten everyday essential oils:
- Frankincense, the oil I am reviewing and giving away today!
- Peace and Calming
Frankincense Essential Oil
We know the basics about frankincense, but what does it actually do, more specifically?
Frankincense essential oil:
…contains sesquiterpenes, which stimulate the limbic system of the brain (the center of memory and emotions) and the hypothalamus, pineal, and pituitary glands. The hypothalamus is the master gland of the human body, producing many vital hormones including thyroid and growth hormones. (source)
Frankincense contains these key constituents:
- Alpha-Pinene (anti-inflammatory)
- Limonene (digestive health)
- Sabinene (aromatherapy)
- Myrcene (analgesic, anti-inflammatory)
- Beta Caryophyllene (anti-inflammatory)
- Alpha Thuyene (anti-inflammatory)
- Paracymene (aromatherapy)
Three Ways to Use Essential Oils:
- Aromatherapy: you can use a diffuser, a cotton ball or cloth with a few drops absorbed into them, or even just waft the bottle under your nose.
- Topical Application: this is achieved by applying the oil with a roll-on attachment, dabbing with a finger onto an affected area or a pressure point, and sometimes, with certain oils, diluting with a carrier oil to use the right amount.
- Internal Use: you can put essential oils into empty capsules and swallow them, or put them in your tea or a small amount of water and drink them. I can only speak for the Young Living brand of essential oils, since they are therapeutic-grade and 100% pure! Other brands do not apply here!
11 Everyday Uses for Frankincense:
- Skin Care: frankincense is known for it’s benefits on skin; apply 1-2 drops daily as part of your facial routine
- Scar tissue: can help reduce scar tissue from acne, surgery, or stretch marks
- Wrinkles: frankincense helps regenerate skin cells and promote healthy skin
- Itching and redness: helps reduce pain and itchiness
- Lower Back Pain: apply to lower back to soothe away pain; use during labor and delivery!
- Cancer: frankincense is claimed in several studies to help with cancer and shrink tumors; do your own research here
- Spiritual Awareness: apply to the third eye chakra to help with meditation and connectivity with the divine
- Immune System Boost: inhale, or apply to skin to give the body an immune system bump when you feel you are coming down with a cold or flu
- Fingernail Strength: add a drop to fingernails to add moisture and prevent brittleness
- Cysts: apply to swollen areas or cysts and watch the swelling reduce
- PTSD: apply to pressure points to help alleviate feelings of panic and anxiety
How to Enter the Giveaway: Click the Rafflecopter Links Below!
- Required: Like Our Nourishing Roots on Facebook (1 Entry)
- Required: Tweet about the giveaway (can repeat daily) (up to 3 Entries)
- Optional: Order your Premium Starter Kit (10 Entries!)
…And the winner is:
Jennifer H. with the email address “jenann…@yahoo.com”. You have 48 hours to contact me so I can send you your prize! Write me an email: kendahl AT ournourishingroots DOT com.
Thank you! Congratulations!
Remember: Frankincense is a part of the Premium Starter Kit
Ever since I got my Premium Starter Kit I have been freaking out over how much I love my essential oils! There is an oil for everything, and even though I already loved essential oils, the kit has been instrumental in helping me use the oils much more efficiently and thoroughly. Even after a few weeks of using them, I found that I felt more confident in treating skin problems, sickness, various digestive ailments, and cleaning (laundry, disinfecting, homemade all-purpose cleaners, etc.)
The Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Ten 5 mL bottles of essential oils including: Lavender, Peppermint, Lemon, Frankincense, PanAway, Peace & Calming, Thieves, Purification, Valor and Joy.
- A home diffuser (retail value alone on this one is $96)
- 5 mL bottle of Stress Away
- Aroma Glide roller fitment (to turn any oil into a roll on)
- Two sample packets each of Lavender, Peppermint, Peace & Calming, Lemon, and Thieves (for you to share with your friends)
- Two NingXia Red 2-oz. samples (this is a great supplement for energy)