I imagine the earth around me drinking up the water when these clouds blow into the Phoenix valley. I try to listen as we all quiet down and soak in the needed moisture. I walk outside, barefoot, and let the wind sing in my ears. It’s good to be alive.
This month I have been thinking a lot about stress, sleep, and how it all relates to bodies that hold on to excess weight. Did you know that stress can make you fat, and sleep can make you skinny? It’s not that simple of course, but the basic premises are pretty compelling.
I blame Diet Recovery for making me so curious. You see, ever since I started following it’s advice, I have been enjoying hotter waking temps, a healthier libido, more energy, and having the audacity to be happy when I wake up in the morning. Sounds pretty awful, huh? I assure you that I am not exaggerating, and that I feel so much better since any other time after having my first child.
The month of July has been hot hot HOT! Most days we end up in our pool, inviting friends to our pool, visiting a friend’s pool, or meeting friends at a local pool. There’s a theme here.
Actually, we have had our fair share of monsoons, haboobs, and rain, but not nearly enough for me. I love a good storm. There’s nothing better than sitting on my back porch and watching the clouds roll in. Sipping a glass of wine, marveling at the lightning, feeling the thunder reverberate in your chest. Plus, the hottest weather of the year is tempered by these magnificent storms, so it makes it that much easier to appreciate the summers here in the desert.
This month I have done some interesting reading:
- First of all, I wrote all about my son’s golden birthday, and how I figured out how to make him a soaked yellow butter cake. It’s truly the best real food cake I have made to date.
- I read about how you can use excess raw milk to promote healthy soil around the tress on your property. This had never occurred to me as a possible way to live whole-mindedly. We drink so much milk around here, I would probably need to own a milk cow to get enough extra milk to “water” my trees, but hey! this is is still great to know!
- Do you think tallow is “naughty”? Not me! I love this idea to use tallow as a beauty regimen. Wrinkles, be gone! I need to try that and do before and after photos or something…
- I’m always looking for ways to sneak liver into our diets, since organ meats are so nutrient-dense and are hard to find in our standard American diet (SAD). These meatballs on the go look perfect for the job, and are made in a large quantity to boot. Perfect for us busy moms.
- Even though I have to endure wails of “No! Not onions!!” whenever my son M is in the kitchen, I’m still determined to make this gorgeous looking onion gratin. Mmm, aromatics.
- I recently read that there was a recall on some hand sanitizer because, get this, it was growing bacteria. What?! Fortunately, Heather has this handy collection of non-toxic hand sanitizer recipes.
- I recently got my hands on all the ingredients for homemade root beer. My favorite beverage, probably.
- I have been using magnesium spray for a few months now, and I find that it helps me stay healthy and balanced. I was really glad to find this tutorial on how to make homemade magnesium oil! Plus, the magnesium flakes used to make it are perfect for a bath soak.
- I also love this article on how to grow plants in your garden that naturally repel mosquitoes. Who knew you could grow your own mosquito repellant? Nature is so amazing!