The hottest holiday of the year is coming up, and I still need to go and buy some fireworks for my boys to set off on the 4th of July! But have no fear in the food department: I’ve got you covered.
Many of my recipes are perfectly suited to our star-spangled holiday. Between my tried and true recipes and some help from my fellow real food bloggers, let me take you through the Independence Day with an Americana flair!Breakfast:
- These Chocolate Chip Waffles are amazing! For the 4th, use the honey-blackberry sauce I recommend, then top with whole cane sugar-sweetened whipped cream, and raspberries.
- This Berry Custard with Sweetened Cream is perfect with it’s blend of strawberries and blueberries. Very festive!
- How does this sound? Grass-fed hot dogs, sprouted flour hot dog buns, lacto-fermented ketchup & mustard, and old-fashioned sauerkraut. Probiotic savory real food Big Lunch heaven!
- On the side: potato chips fried in coconut oil, organic cherries, and salad with homemade vinaigrette.
- To drink: Honey-Sweetened Lemonade, the definitive taste of summer!
- Dark Chocolate Almond Milkshakes are really quick, and don’t even contain sugar or honey for sweetness! They will cool you right off in the hot July sun.
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and “Magic” Chocolate Sauce
- These fried cheese sticks are amazing, especially when you dip them in my homemade buttermilk Ranch dressing! You could also use sprouted flour if you aren’t on GAPS.
- Smoked salmon pinwheels are amazing, nutrient dense, and most importantly: made ahead of time! Plus these hors d’oeuvres are nice and cool, simple to keep cool in the fridge, ready to go.
- You can also serve the pinwheels on crackers. I have a white cheddar & chive grain-free cracker as well as a whole grain soaked yogurt dough cracker (that tastes just like a cheese cracker!) for you to use. They are both a favorite around here.
- The easiest red, white, and blue food flag I have seen? This fruit flag! Perfect, and quick.
I know I’ve left off dinner, but that’s because I find that with all the food I have made throughout the day, we really don’t need dinner at this point! Just enjoy some leftover snacks, another bowl of ice cream, and have a few more salty potato chips with a nice cold beer. Happy 4th, everyone. Cheers!
This post is a part of Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, The Mommy Club, Allergy Free Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.