The hottest holiday of the year is coming up, and I still need to go and buy some fireworks for my boys to set off on the 4th of July! But have no fear in the food department: I’ve got you covered.
Many of my recipes are perfectly suited to our star-spangled holiday. Between my tried and true recipes and some help from my fellow real food bloggers, let me take you through the Independence Day with an Americana flair!Breakfast:
- These Chocolate Chip Waffles are amazing! For the 4th, use the honey-blackberry sauce I recommend, then top with whole cane sugar-sweetened whipped cream, and raspberries.
- This Berry Custard with Sweetened Cream is perfect with it’s blend of strawberries and blueberries. Very festive!
- How does this sound? Grass-fed hot dogs, sprouted flour hot dog buns, lacto-fermented ketchup & mustard, and old-fashioned sauerkraut. Probiotic savory real food Big Lunch heaven!
- On the side: potato chips fried in coconut oil, organic cherries, and salad with homemade vinaigrette.
- To drink: Honey-Sweetened Lemonade, the definitive taste of summer!
- Dark Chocolate Almond Milkshakes are really quick, and don’t even contain sugar or honey for sweetness! They will cool you right off in the hot July sun.
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and “Magic” Chocolate Sauce
- These fried cheese sticks are amazing, especially when you dip them in my homemade buttermilk Ranch dressing! You could also use sprouted flour if you aren’t on GAPS.
- Smoked salmon pinwheels are amazing, nutrient dense, and most importantly: made ahead of time! Plus these hors d’oeuvres are nice and cool, simple to keep cool in the fridge, ready to go.
- You can also serve the pinwheels on crackers. I have a white cheddar & chive grain-free cracker as well as a whole grain soaked yogurt dough cracker (that tastes just like a cheese cracker!) for you to use. They are both a favorite around here.
- The easiest red, white, and blue food flag I have seen? This fruit flag! Perfect, and quick.
I know I’ve left off dinner, but that’s because I find that with all the food I have made throughout the day, we really don’t need dinner at this point! Just enjoy some leftover snacks, another bowl of ice cream, and have a few more salty potato chips with a nice cold beer. Happy 4th, everyone. Cheers!
This post is a part of Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, The Mommy Club, Allergy Free Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday.